What to Bring
Many people don’t know what to expect before they go to their personal injury consultation, but it’s important to be prepared. We’re here to make things as easy as possible and assuage some of your worries by providing you a detailed guide on how to prepare for your consultation with your personal injury lawyer!
You will need to bring several documents to help your lawyer develop an understanding of your unique situation. When you meet with your personal injury lawyer for the first time, be sure to bring:
- Medical documents: Any relevant records, care plans, bills for relevant treatment, prescriptions, health insurance information.
- Evidence relating to accident: Repair costs, photographs or videos of accident, police reports, contact information for witnesses, documentation of current or future missed work, proof of past and future lost wages from missing work.
In short, it’s a good idea to bring any document that will help your personal injury lawyer understand your case and aid them in deciding whether to take on your case or not. You want to find the right lawyer for you, so it’s important to help them understand everything about your case!
Good Questions to Ask Your Personal Injury Lawyer
Consultation preparation also includes determining questions you’ll ask your attorney to make sure they’re the right fit for you and your case. Here are some sample questions to get you started:
- How long have you practiced personal injury law?
- How many cases have you handled that are similar to mine?
- What was the outcome of these cases?
- What is fair compensation for my case?
- How long might the entire process take?
- What (and when) will I have to pay for your services?
It is also helpful to know if there will be any other attorneys contributing to your representation and if so, who the primary point of contact would be. These are all great questions to ask to figure out if your personal injury lawyer is reputable and communicative with you. Overall, preparing for your consultation will help both you and your potential attorney fully understand your situation and determine if they are the right person to take on your case.
If you have been injured in an accident and are ready to pursue a claim, don’t hesitate to reach out to Jacobs and Jacobs for a free consultation.